Types of Algae options available
Shop all of Algae products.
Algae Film Food Packaging
Description : Algae film packaging is a sustainable alternative made from algae biomass. It is biodegradable, compostable, and offers excellent barrier properties for packaging applications.
Carbon Footprint: 850 to 1,400 kg CO2e per tonne
Time to decompose : a few weeks in facility
Recyclability : 2 to 3 times
Price Range : $ 0.20 to 0.40*
About Algae packaging
- Renewable Resource: Algae packaging is made from various types of algae, which are renewable resources. Algae grow rapidly and can be cultivated in large quantities without the need for excessive land, water, or fertilizers. This makes algae a sustainable material for packaging.
- Biodegradability: Algae packaging is biodegradable. It naturally breaks down in the environment without leaving behind harmful residues or contributing to long-term pollution. This characteristic makes algae packaging an eco-friendly alternative to traditional packaging materials like plastic.
- CO2 Absorption: Algae have the ability to absorb carbon dioxide (CO2) during their growth. This means that algae used for packaging can help mitigate greenhouse gas emissions by capturing and storing CO2 from the atmosphere, contributing to carbon sequestration efforts.
- Versatility: Algae packaging is a versatile material that can be molded or shaped into various forms and sizes to accommodate different packaging needs. It can be used for food packaging, cosmetic containers, disposable cutlery, and more. The flexibility of algae packaging allows for creative and sustainable design solutions.
- Algae contain essential nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. While not all algae packaging is edible, some forms, like edible films or coatings made from algae, can provide additional nutritional benefits to food products, adding a functional aspect to the packaging itself.